This two semester course will be offered in the form of a monthly face to face meeting plus online activity over a period of 6 months (October-December, January-March). We are seeking EDC (Educational Developers' Caucus) accreditation for the course to ensure it meets the highest standards of rigour. ALL FACULTY are welcome to participate!
Using a hands-on and participant-centred, reflective, activity based approach; participants will investigate the theory and practice of teaching in a Canadian University context. This course is free of charge to anyone who is a Course Director at York University.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Take a scholarly approach to teaching
- Produce artifacts for the course assessment which may be helpful when creating a teaching dossier
- Will join a community of York instructors to share ideas and approaches and learn from each other
- Consolidate our approaches to teaching with an increased knowledge of PSE theories and practice
Course Topics Include:
- Teaching Philosophies and the Changing Currents in the Postsecondary Provincial Context
- Student-Centred Learning
- Course Design with a particular focus on Constructive Alignment, Universal Design for Learning, and Backward Design
- Assessment of Student Learning and Feedback
- Evaluation of Teacher Performance, Threshold Concepts, and Signature Pedagogies
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- The final assessment for this course will be the completion and submission of an online Portfolio.
- Monday January 14, 2019
- Monday February 25, 2019
- Monday March 25, 2019
- Monday April 22, 2019
- Monday May 13, 2019
- Monday June 3, 2019
Time: 9:30am to 12:30pm
Location: Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building DB 1012
Please follow this link to apply to the Teaching Academy.
For further information or inquiries about the Teaching Academy, please contact Dr. Mandy Frake-Mistak at email@example.com.